Best Air Purifier in India 2021- Reviews & Buyers Guide
Looking for Best Air Purifier in India for your home & office use ? Please check top 10 best air purifier list. Please read air purifier buyers guide & reviews
Which is Best Air purifier in India for Home & Office Use ?
Top Seller Best Air Purifier in India
|Best Seller||User Rating||Buy Now|
|Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier||Buy on Amazon|
|Daikin MC76 Room Air Purifier||Buy on Amazon|
|Sharp Air purifier FP-F40E-W||Buy on Amazon|
|Philips High Efficiency Air Purifier AC2887||Buy on Amazon|
|SHARP-Air Purifier (FU-A28E)||Buy on Amazon|
|KENT Aura Room Air Purifier||Buy on Amazon|
|Coway Sleek Pro AP-1009 Air Purifier||Buy on Amazon|
Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier, removes 99.97% airborne pollutants with 4-stage filtration/ Best Air purifier in India
Features / Specifications
- High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter type
- Coverage area: 677 sq. ft. / 63 sq. meters
- Suitable in the bedroom
- 2 Years Warranty
- Vitashield IPS with its aerodynamic design
- NanoProtect Pro Filter
- Auto-Purification Mode
- Night Sensing Mode
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and removes 99.97% airborne pollutants as small as 0.003 microns, 800 times smaller than PM 2.5
- Purifies a standard room in just 12 minutes with a CADR of 270 m3/hour (Standard room size is 18 ft by 12 ft with an 8 ft ceiling height). Recommended room area: 226-333 sq ft.
- 4 Stage Filtration process through pre filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter
- 4-color air quality indicator gives real time air quality feedback
- Removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove airborne H1N1 virus
- Removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites, Allergy friendly quality tested by ECARF
- Philips is the no.1 brand in Air purifiers in India (Source: Euromonitor International Limited; Consumer Appliances 2018ED)
- In case of any product queries / issues, please contact the Philips Air customer care on: 18001031235
Honeywell Air Touch i8 42-Watt Air Purifier
The Honeywell i8’s pre filter and HEPA + HiSiv filtration capabilities along with its trusted ratings are the reasons why it is placed third on our list of the best air purifiers today.
Filters: Pre-filter, HEPA and HiSiv filtration
- Comes with a real-time PM 2.5 and other pollution measurements meter
- 3 stage filtration with patented HiSiv and HEPA filter
- Easy to wash pre-filter
- Seamless product design and polycarbonate body
- Great and clear to read over the dashboard display screen
- Ozone free air purification with the removal of Toxic gases, VOCs, odor and Formaldehydes in the air
- It has about 3000 hours of filter life. Translates to a year of product life if used for 8 hours a day.
- 300m3 / h CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
- Available in White and Champagne gold colors
Filters: Pre-filter and HEPA + HiSiv filtration
Room Coverage: 387 sq. ft approximately
Warranty and Support:
The Honeywell i8 air purifier comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty and for any further support, contact their toll-free number 1800-103-4761.
Philips AC2887/20 High Efficiency Air purifier,
This may look a bit expensive but really it is worth it for this is the air purifier packed with tons of unique features that you may have been looking for. This product is like a one-stop shop. It has a huge area of coverage at the same time has the most advanced filtration/purification technologies.
Features / Specifications
- HEPA Filter type
- Coverage Area: 441 sq. ft. (Suitable for bedroom/living room)
- 2 Years Warranty
- AeraSense Technology
- 3 Purification Modes: General/Allergen/Extra Powerful Bacteria & Virus Mode
- Smart Light Control
- Vitashield IPS Technology
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and removes 99.97% airborne pollutants as small as 0.003 microns, 800 times smaller than PM 2.5
- Purifies a standard room in just 10 minutes with a CADR of 333 m3/hour (Standard room size is 18 ft by 12 ft with an 8 ft ceiling height)
- Ideal for master bedroom, recommended area: 269-409 sq ft.
- AeraSense monitors and displays real-time numerical PM 2.5 levels with professional grade sensing technology
- Removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove H1N1 virus
- Removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites
- Filters out TVOCs and harmful gases like formaldehyde
- Philips is the no.1 brand in Air purifiers in India (Source: Euromonitor International Limited; Consumer Appliances 2018ED)
- Warranty: 2 years international
Daikin MC30 Room Air Purifier (White)
Dakin MC30 is a perfect fit for any room and delivers great performance on its promises
- Comes with a primary electrostatic HEPA filter
- Has a PM 2.5 sensor lamp that alerts you when the room contains any such particles with the live pollution tracker and 3 colored LED indicator
- Has 3 different modes of operation; auto, pollen and turbo mode
- An additional Eco mode switches on when there is no pollution in the room and thus saves energy
- The pollen mode removes and controls the pollen levels in your room
- Turbo mode can remove about 99.7% of allergens up to the size of 2.5 micrometers
Room Capacity Size: 231 Sq Ft
Warranty and Support: Daikin provides a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on the product. For any further information, you can contact their toll-free customer care number 18601803900
Dyson Pure Air Purifier (Wi-fi & Bluetooth Enabled), Tower TP04
Dyson Ltd is a British tech company founded by James Dyson in the year 1991 and is one of the best manufacturers of household appliances like vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, air purifiers etc… So, if you’re looking for some high quality air purifiers, then Dyson air purifiers are one of the best picks.
The tower-designed purifier comes with advanced technology and supports WiFi and Bluetooth for operating the device wirelessly using your Smartphone.
It has 360 degrees Glass HEPA filter & Tris Impregnated Activated Carbon Filter, both combined will help eliminate 99.95% of the harmful pollutants and allergens as small as PM 0.1 from the air.
It has 10 speed settings, night mode, auto mode, sleep timer, filter change alarm, LCD display etc…
You can customize the oscillation up to different angles – 45°, 90°, to 350°.
You also get a separate remote control, along with app support to operate the air purifier.
- Automatically monitors, reacts & purifies. Dyson Link app provides real-time air quality reports and allows you to remotely control your machine from your smartphone. Comes with a remote control that is magentizes for easy docking on top of the machine when required
- Air Multiplier technology and oscillation feature to powerfully project and circulate purified air throughout the room. Cord length : 1.9m
- Dyson purifiers have a lower face velocity unlike some other conventional purifiers. This, along with the high-efficiency VACUUM SEALED 360Â° Glass HEPA FIlter ensures that harmful ultra-fine pollutants are NOT released back into the room & stay captured in the filter media
- Manufacturer warranty only applicable on products sold by seller "Dyson India".
- Features include easy scheduling, 10 air-speed settings, auto mode, night-time mode, sleep timer, and an easy-to-clean aperture with no fast-spinning blades so its safe for little fingers or paws
- Product 1: Air Touch A5 indoor air purifier by Honeywell, a Fortune 100 company.
- Product 1: Versatile Coverage Area and efficiency - CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) - 250 cu m/hr, offers up to 30 sq.m coverage area for a room with 2.74m height - suitable for use in living rooms and bedrooms
- Product 1: Three stage advanced filtration system that removes pollutants with more than 99% efficiency.
- Product 1: Washable pre-filter that removes larger dust particles, pet hair/dander, soil etc and improves the life of HEPA filter
- Product 2: Presenting Air Touch i8 indoor air purifier with real-time PM2.5 meter by Honeywell, a Fortune 100 company
- Product 2: Versatile Coverage Area and efficiency - CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) - 300 cu m/hr, offers up to 36 Sq.m coverage area for a room with 2.74m height - suitable for use in living rooms and bedrooms
- Product 2: Measure the real-time pollution level inside your room with the PM2.5 meter onboard the purifier. No need to invest in another meter
- Product 2: Three stage advanced filtration system with combined patented HiSiv and HEPA filter that removes pollutants with more than 99% efficiency
- Air Purifier Type: Room; Purification method: High Efficiency Particulate Arrestent (HEPA)
- Coverage area: 538 Sq. Ft., Suitable for living room (large)
- Warranty: 1 year on the product
- In case of any product query or complaint, please call customer care at 18601803900
- Smart Air Purifier with Auto Mode and advanced ECO Mode
- Air Purifier switches off intelligently when there is no pollution. (Eco Mode)
- Removes 99.97% allergens and fine particles up to size 2.5 micro meter which is less than 3% of human hair
- Live pollution tracking through 3 color LED indicator
- Includes: Air Purifier, Filters and Manual
- Air Purifier Type - Room; Purification method - High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestant (HEPA) filter type
- Coverage area: 290 sq. ft. / 27 sq. mtrs., suitable for bedroom / living room (medium) ; Input Power Supply: Single Phase 200-240 V, AC 50/60 Hz
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): 180 m3/hr; CADR indicates the volume of purified air (in cubic mtrs) which an air purifier produces every hour
- 1 Year Warranty
- Product will be having white background but design color may vary as per availibility
- Proven HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arrestor) dust collection technology for trapping harmful pollutants from air; Specially treated carbon filter with specially sized pallets for better adsorption properties for odor/foul smell, oxides of Sulphide and Nitrogen, dust, cigarette smoke etc
- Inbuilt ionizer to improve the air quality and refreshing air in the room; One touch Child lock feature for safety purposes
- Wattage: 45 watts
- Includes: Room air purifier, User manual and Warranty card
- #1 AIR PURIFIER: Coway is loved across the world for its unique technology, award-winning design and user friendly Air Purifiers. Coway has World's Largest R&D Centre for Air Care Products with 243 full-time researchers. Today, "Coway Air Purifier" is India's No. 1 selling Air Purifier Brand. TECH. SPECS: Supply: 230V 50Hz. | Power : 38 Watts. | Noise: 22-49 dB. | Gross Weight: 7.50 Kg | 5 Years Warranty on Motor, 1 Year Warranty on Product.
- OPTIMIZED AIRFLOW: Smart design ensures innovative flow path for high efficiency (better reach and maximum airflow). COVERAGE AREA: 355 sq. ft / 33 sq. mtrs. | SUITABLE FOR: Living Room, Bed Rooms & Offices | Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): 303 cubic m/hr (CADR is Volume of fresh, clean air delivered in an hour) | ELEGANT DESIGN: Slim design to blend anywhere. | iF, RED Dot, Good Design & Spark Design Award Winner for best design | Certified Allergy Friendly: Tested by ECARF.
- FILTERS AND LIFE OF FILTER: Pre-Filter (To Trap PM10 Particles, Life-long), Patented Urethane Carbon Filter (To Deodorize the air & Remove VOCs, Life 8500 Hours), Multi Layered Anti-Virus Green HEPA Filter (To effectively trap PM2.5 particles and eliminate Viruses & Allergens, Life 8500 Hours). AIR QUALITY MONITOR: Smart pollution sensor represents real-time Air Quality through Intuitive Colors. AUTO MODE: Automatically Adjust Speed based on Air Quality. FILTER CLEANING & REPLACEMENT INDICATOR.
- SPECIAL ANTI-VIRUS GREEN HEPA FILTER: A unique HEPA Filter made of Japanese Gingko Leaves and Sumac Trees, which has unique property to destroy protein on the surface of virus. Removes 99.97 % of Airborne pollutants & 99.99 % of Virus & Allergens. Coway HEPA Filter is one of the thickest (25 mm) HEPA Filter in the industry with Best in Class Protection and Long Filter Life (8500 hours).
- BEST RATED AFTER SALES SUPPORT: We, at Coway India, are committed to "Keep Customers Interest Ahead of All." It's always our privilege to assist and build relationship with our customers. With our expertise in Air Care Products, we assist our customers in their pursuit of Healthy Lifestyle. 'Get ADDITIONAL WARRANTY OF 2 Yrs' on Motor by Registering on Official Coway Website. In case of any queries, Demo & Installation Needs, feel free to Contact Customer Support.
- DUAL PURIFICATION Sharp Air purifier works on dual purification method to remove different kind of pollutants - ACTIVE PURIFICATION (uses Plasmacluster Technology) and PASSIVE PURIFICATION (uses combination of filters - H14 Grade HEPA Filter + Active Carbon Filter + Pre-Filter). The Patented Plasmacluster Technology uses natural way of purification and is certified by over 30 global laboratories including IIT Delhi, British Allergy Foundation and British Allergy Foundation
- FILTRATION and FILTER LIFE: H-14 GRADE HEPA FILTER (Traps 99.97% allergens and microscopic dust as smallest as 0.3-micron, LIFE: up to 2 years). ACTIVE CARBON FILTER (deodorize the air and remove VOCs, absorbs cigarette odour, pet odour and many other common household odours, LIFE: up to 2 years). ADVANCE PRE-FILTER (captures PM10 particles and can be used lifelong), It is suitable for 24 x 7 x 365 days operation
- WHAT IS PLASMACLUSTER: Plasmacluster technology generates same Negative and Positive Ions that occur in nature. After purifying the air, these ions return to air in the form of water. Plasmacluster work actively and generate fresh indoor air, neutralize harmful VOC, Toxic gases, suppresses harmful microbes including H1N1, E. Coli, MRSA, TB (up to 99.9%) remove static charges and helps the skin retain moisture and improves its elasticity and texture
- JAPANESE TECHNOLOGY Sharp Air Purifier is designed in Japan with ABS material under strict quality control to ensure that the product compliments your homes and offices. Sharp is certified as JAPAN and ASEAN NO. 1 BRAND by Euromonitor International Limited
- BEST RATED AFTER SALES SUPPORT: Sharp India, are committed to "Keep Customers Interest Ahead of All." It's always our privilege to assist and build relationship with our customers. with our expertise in Air Care Products, we assist our customers in their pursuit of Healthy Lifestyle
Best Air Purifier in India Buyer’s Guide
Points to consider while Buying Air Purifier
In this buying guide, we are sharing major pointers/features list of what to look for while buying an air purifier:
Maintenance Cost:Air purifiers function smoothly provided you maintain them properly. Before buying an air purifier, ensure that you have a clear idea about the amount you need to spend on the cleaning and maintenance of the air purifier.
Filter Replacement:If you plan to buy a HEPA air purifier, check how much will the filter replacement cost. Life a filter depends on the air quality and usage. Generally, the life span of a HEPA filter is 2000 hrs. The filter needs to be replaced after every 7 months or on the indication of the filter change LED.
Automatic Monitoring:Check whether the air purifier has an automatic monitoring option to detect the pollution levels in the room. Air purifiers come with an infrared detector monitors that particulates in an area and accordingly adjust the speed.
Noise Level:Considering the noise level is important, especially if plan to keep the air purifier in your bedroom. It is advisable to pick a large unit and run it at a low speed for better efficiency and quietness.
Power Consumption:Similar to all appliances, different types of air purifiers need different amounts of energy to operate. As air purifiers need to function continuously, you need to consider the utility bill before buying a purifier. Most of the air purifiers generally use approximately 50- 200 watts for proper functioning. Prefer one that consumes lesser energy.
Manufacturer Reputation:When buying an air purifier, ensure that you consider the reputation of the manufacturer. Read the reviews to learn about the experiences of the customers before making the final decision. Choose a manufacturer who has a good reputation in the industry and provides top quality products.
Warranty:If you are planning to buy an air purifier for a long term use, ensure that you check the warranty to avoid issues in the long run. Before buying a product, get a clear idea whether the parts of the air purifier such as motor, fan or the electrical components are covered under the warranty.
After-Sales Service:Before buying an air purifier, check the pre and post-demonstration or installation services option provided by the manufacturer in your region. Ask the manufacturer about the maximum time, ensure that the manufacturer provides prompt after-sales services in case there is a problem with the purifier to avoid any inconvenience.
Effectiveness:The effectiveness of air purifier varies among different models and the capacity to remove different amounts of airborne particles from the air. In addition, ensure that you consider the square footage in conjunction with the effectiveness to measure its performance.
Top 5 Benefits if Air purifiers for Home & office Use
If you have noticed, a lot of people are buying air purifiers these days. The reason is obvious, the air quality in our cities and towns is continuously going downhill. So much so, that the top cities with hazardous air quality are almost all in India. In the meanwhile, air pollution diseases are also on the rise. Which is not only bad news for the health of our loved ones but also puts a huge burden on our country’s public health infrastructure.
Moreover, studies have already associated air pollution with loss of productively, signs of depression and faster ageing of cognitive senses. Thus, self-protection measures have become an essential need today. So, buying an air purifier can be an essential step towards a healthier and happier future for you and your family.
Here are the top 5 benefits of having an Air Purifier in your home.
Gets rid of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
VOCs are among the most harmful air pollutants as they contain anthropogenic compounds, which are harmful for humans and animals. These air pollutants are mostly present in adhesives, paints and varnishes. Formaldehyde is a prime example of harmful volatile organic compounds. Prolonged exposure to formaldehyde fumes can even lead to cancer.
Air purifiers come with special filters to remove these volatile vapours from the indoor environment. Activated carbon air filters inside home air purifiers can trap VOCs in their carbon tunnels and remove them permanently from the air. Honeywell has developed a special activated carbon filter called the HiSiv which provides advanced protection from VOCs.
Gets rid of particulate matter (PM)
While VOCs may seem extremely dangerous when compared to common dust, the threat from extremely fine dust particles is also hazardous. These fine particles, also known as Particulate Matter, can be up to 40 times smaller than the width of a human hair. PM2.5 particles can even reach the central nervous system and brain through blood circulation, causing a host of respiratory, cardio-vascular and mental illnesses.
Particulate matter is trapped using a special air filter, called HEPA. It stands for high-efficiency particulate arrestor. High-quality HEPA filters can trap up to 99.9% of particulate matter and fine dust particles. Air purifiers from Honeywell use H11 grade HEPA filters to permanently remove these pollutants from the air. These air filters also remove allergens such as mould, pet dander and pollen from the air.
Gets rid of foul odours
Perhaps one of the most useful features of an air purifier is its ability to get rid of foul odours. Smells from the kitchen, cigarette smoke and other elements can be removed by using a home air purifier with HEPA and activated carbon filters. Honeywell also makes a car air purifier to clean the dust and odours from food and beverage spills inside the cabin. The car air purifier is extremely portable and can he placed on the dashboard, under the seats or in the rear parcel tray.
Beneficial for your family’s health
Well, stating the obvious, having clean air to breathe means your family members stay healthy during the smog filled days during winters. Also, air purifiers can reduce the chances of contracting seasonal influenza viruses and other common bacterial infections, as the activated carbon filter can trap microbes like bacteria, fungus and viruses.
You can be energy efficient
Often people resort to measures like blocking ventilation vents and doors and windows to prevent air pollution from seeping inside the house. Homes without ventilation end up using more energy for cooling and heating needs.
As indoor air pollution also has many in-house causes, like kitchen activities, dust hiding in upholstery and linen etc. Over time, these pollutants can combine to reduce the indoor air quality, making it unhealthy. Having an air purifier means the air inside your home is being continuously cleaned, thus allowing you ventilate the home properly and save more on your electricity bills.
What are the Most Common Source of Household Air Pollutants?
You have to remember that different purifiers are designed to tackle different type of pollutants. So, it is imminent to identify the type of pollutants that is currently polluting your air, before you finally purchase an air purifier.
Allergens-in the list of airborne particles you will find pollutants like pet dander, mold spores, dust mite allergen, plant spores, fungi and pollen. These are identified as the most common source of allergy and asthma attacks in every household.
Smokes-the smoke of tobacco or weed can be very irritating for non-smokers and it is one of the most common causes of indoor air pollution.
Odors- the odors inside the house are a big problem. It includes the smell of gasses, kitty litter, various toxins, and gaseous pollutants like indoor pesticides, aerosols, and chemical cleaners. Such type of pollutants is very common and hard to eliminate.
The VOCs- VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds are available in most of common household products such as; paints, varnishes, cleaning supplies, disinfectants, glues and adhesives, and even new carpets and building supplies are not excluded. You need to find components like benzene, chloride, formaldehyde, ethylene, and toluene. The Volatile Organic Compounds can cause several symptoms like the irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, headaches, nausea, and even severe chronic health conditions such as damage to the nervous system. It can also aggravate asthma.
The micro-organisms-such category includes antigens, pathogens, bacteria, and obviously viruses. These are the most common germs that make us sick. These also include mold, fungi and protozoa other microscopic plant bodies causing several health issues.
All these pollutants are considered dangerous. They can damage your health, and it does not matter if you have a very specific type of allergy, they will cause damage and even aggravate your respiratory issues. The only difference is that the people who are directly affected by these elements are able to notice the effects almost immediately but those who are not allergic to such contaminants won’t be able to notice the changes immediately, resulting in serious health damage in the long run.
Different types of pollutants
According to the reports given by the WHO-World Health Organisation, says that pollutants released at indoors are more likely to attack the people’s health by 10 times than outdoors.
Indoor air pollution is due to the 4 major factors like combustion, building materials, bio aerosols and the ground under the building. Besides these factors, there are major contaminants that not only spoils the indoor environments but also the person’s health is given below.
An Airborne particle is a particulate matter that contains pet dander, spores, dust allergens, pollen, fungi, bacteria, and viruses. All of these are responsible for causing severe health problems like allergies, asthma and other breathing problems.
Tobacco smoke is the practice of smoking tobacco and inhaling the smoke. It is the traditional air pollutant and is the major cause of cancer.
Household odors include harmful gases, toxins and pollutants like aerosols, pesticides, and aerosols. It is very common in every house and is seen in more quantities. Activated carbon filter is the best choice for absorbing the gases and odors than being trapped by HEPA filter.
VOC- Volatile Organic Compounds are the chemicals that have a high vapour pressure at room temperature. These sort of compounds are mostly seen in domestic products like paints, disinfectants, glues, adhesives and cleaning supplies.
They spread micro-organisms like bacteria, viruses, mold, and pathogens that are responsible for causing eye irritation, headaches, nausea and may even damage the nervous system.
The Different Types of Air Purifiers
Room Air Purifiers
As the name suggests, room air purifiers (also known as plug-in air purifiers) are used for cleaning the air in individual areas such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, or bathrooms. Normally, these types of air purifiers are only turned on when there are people in the room, but they can also be left to run all day. They vary in size: some are small enough to be placed on car dashboards, while others are large enough to take up an entire corner of your living room.
There are several types of room air purifiers, but they can be grouped into two categories:
1. Air Purifiers with Filters
Air purifiers that use filters are designed to suck in polluted air, run it through a filter or series of filters, and release clean air back out. The main principle behind this type of air purifier is to clean the air by size exclusion, removing differently sized pollutants by trapping them in different types of filters.
The following are the most commonly used filters in filtered air purifiers:
Pre-filters act as the first line of defense for your air purifier. It is in-charge of removing the largest pollutants such as hair, fur, dust, and some pollen. They are even capable of trapping small insects. Without the pre-filter, the main filter (which is usually the HEPA filter) wears out more quickly, resulting in more frequent and expensive filter changes throughout the year. Pre-filters can last a lifetime if they are cared for properly, but if your pre-filter is combined with a carbon layer, it will need to be replaced when the carbon layer stops functioning.
HEPA Filters – Allergies
True High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) filters are able to filter out 99.97% of particulate pollutants, such as pollen, mold, dust mites, and more, which are as small as 0.3 microns in size. Accordingly, True HEPA filters allow for a more sanitary environment and are commonly used in health facilities. Do not confuse True HEPA filters with HEPA-type or HEPA-grade filters, though, as these latter types of filters are not as efficient and are only capable of removing 99% of particles 1 to 2 microns in size or larger. In addition, one drawback to the HEPA filter is that it is not designed to remove smoke, odors, and volatile organic compounds.
Activated Carbon Filters – Odors
Activated carbon is specifically manufactured at high heat to become extremely porous and to give it a large surface area to ensure maximum absorption of volatile chemicals on molecular basis. The molecular-sized pores on activated carbon filters have high absorbency and chemical bonding. These two properties make them highly effective in capturing pollutants that are able to pass through HEPA filters like chemical emissions, gases, tobacco smoke, and other odors. This is why HEPA filters and carbon filters are best used together.
Permanent filters (also known as washable filters) are filters that do not need to be replaced. Once saturated with pollutants, these permanent filters only need to be vacuumed or washed to remove them and then used again without losing its efficiency. Permanent filters are much cheaper in the long run since they are designed to last a lifetime, but they need to be properly cared for in order to last that long.
2. Filterless Air Purifiers
Filterless air purifiers do not use any type of filter or filtration system. Instead, they rely on different types of technologies to clean the air. Often, these technologies are used in conjunction with filtered air purifiers to increase their efficiency. They are also highly efficient on their own, though, and users have found them easier to maintain because filter replacements are no longer an issue.
An air ionizer is a type of air purifier that cleans the air with the use of negative or positive ions. It releases a very high concentration of these ions which attach themselves to air pollutants that are usually neutral so that they either have a negative or positive charge. Once charged, they become attracted to surfaces or other pollutants with the opposite charge. As they stick to each other, they become too heavy to remain airborne and settle on the floor or the walls to be cleaned or vacuumed later.
Ionizers are very effective at removing common household air pollutants but often have trouble removing smoke, volatile organic compounds, and other odors. Another drawback is that ionizers tend to produce a small amount of ozone while they’re running. Ozone has been known to cause chest pain, coughing, and throat irritation even at low levels.
Electrostatic Precipitator/Electrostatic Air Cleaners
An electrostatic precipitator functions almost the same way as an air ionizer except that it has electrically charged plates that are able to collect air pollutants. For it to remain effective, these plates need to be cleaned regularly. If these collection plates are left to accumulate large amounts of particles, they may sometimes bond so tightly to the metal plates that vigorous washing and scrubbing may be needed to completely clean them. This is one of the downsides to owning an electrostatic air cleaner. Aside from that, it also produces small amounts of ozone and nitrogen oxide.
Ozone generators are popular — albeit very controversial — air purifiers that are used for cleaning the air. Ozone released by ozone generators have three oxygen atoms, one of which can remove itself and then reattach itself to pollutants. A chemical reaction then occurs to render these pollutants harmless. Unfortunately, studies have shown that the substances produced by the chemical reaction of ozone with pollutants can actually be more harmful than the pollutants themselves.
In addition, several studies have already debunked the effectiveness of ozone generators. This is because, in order for ozone to effectively remove pollutants and kill bacteria and viruses, it has to release a higher concentration than the limitations set by the government. Furthermore, the use of ozone generators in small, closed spaces is dangerous since ozone in high concentrations can cause several health problems and trigger asthma attacks. Needless to say, it would be better to steer clear of ozone generators.
Air purifiers that use thermodynamic sterilization (TSS) to clean the air are also rapidly gaining popularity as they require little maintenance, don’t make any noise, and don’t produce any harmful substances while in use. These models work by allowing polluted air to pass through the air purifier by the process of convection. The air passes through the air purifier’s ceramic core with micro capillaries which are heated up to 200°C. This process claims to incinerate 99% of bacteria, viruses, dust mites, mold, and fungus spores.
It is important to know that air purifiers that use TSS do not actually remove or trap any airborne particles. Rather, they are rendered harmless due to the heat treatment. In addition, air purifiers that use TSS take longer to clean the air since no suction fans are used. However, one advantage of TSS in air purifiers is that they’re able to significantly reduce ozone levels in the environment.
Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI)
Ultraviolet germicidal lights have long been used to eliminate microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, molds, and fungi. They work by damaging the genetic material of these microorganisms, rendering them unable to reproduce and completely eliminating them in the process. This type of air purification technology is most commonly found in hospitals and laboratories where a sanitary environment is crucial.
The main problem with UV light is that it is also harmful to plastics, human skin, and eyes, making it impossible to be used with people in the vicinity. Recent developments in air purifying technology, however, have allowed UVGI lights to be used in overhead ceiling lights in a manner that causes air near the ceiling to be irradiated. The systems are designed so very little of the UV light penetrates into the occupied portion of the room.
Like with TSS technology, UVGI also does not target the removal particles. There are several factors that will affect the effectiveness of UVGI systems such as the intensity of the UV light, the duration of irradiation, humidity, the target organism, and other factors. Unlike ionizers and TSS air purifiers that require little to no maintenance, UVGI cleaners need their UV light bulbs replaced yearly which may be costly.
Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) Cleaners
Another emerging technology in air purification is photocatalytic oxidation (PCO). PCO cleaners also use UV light to react with a catalyst (usually titanium dioxide or TiO2). The reaction is able to oxidize bacteria, viruses, mold, fungi, odors, and volatile organic compounds. Oxidation breaks the pollutants down into harmless carbon dioxide and water molecules, making the air more purified.
PCO cleaners are excellent at removing gaseous air pollutants like odors and VOCs. However, like TSS and UVGI, PCO cleaners are not designed to trap or remove particulate pollutants. Their UV light bulbs also need to be replaced yearly. In addition, PCO cleaners often have high commercial costs
Ideal room size and Air Purifier Model Suggestion
Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) is a measure of the purified air delivered by an Air purifier when it operates at its highest speed setting. The measurements of CADR combine both the amount of airflow and particle removal efficiency. The higher the CADR rate, the faster will the purifier filter the air. If you have a large space, look for air purifiers that have a higher CADR rating.
Air Quality Display
To help users keep a track of the quality of the air they are breathing, some of the air purifiers come with real-time air quality monitor. The unique feature also displays the level of PM 2.5 present in a room. The air purifier detects the level of PM2.5 in a room with the help of a laser scattering method. The digital screen on top of the air purifier keeps displaying the level of PM 2.5 and air quality on a real-time basis when the device is switched on.
Air Change Rate
The Air change rate (ACR) per hour shows exactly how many times the unit can clean the air of the room during an hour. An air purifier with 4 ACH indicates that the air will be cleaned after every twelve minutes.
Portable Air Purifiers
Portable air purifiers are ideal for homes that don’t have forced-air heating and cooling. Some of the pros and cons of portable air purifiers are:
A compact air purifier is relatively inexpensive, light-weight and small in size. Though these air purifiers are small in size, they still provide quality filtration. The portable air purifiers with HEPA filters have the ability to remove ultra-fine particles, pollen, dander, chemical vapour or fumes such as VOCs and smoke. Whether you need an air purifier for a hotel room, small office or a dorm room, light-weight and portable air purifiers are an ideal option.
Some of the portable air purifiers offer limited speed setting (usually these come with single speed setting). These purifiers also require frequent cleaning and maintenance. As these are compact in size, you may need multiple units to purify the air in every room.
Must see Features in Air Purifiers
Before buying an air purifier, there are certain essential points that you need to consider. Lets’ have a look in this buying guide:
HEPA:Ensure that the air purifier uses a tested and certified multi-stage HEPA technology that can efficiently trap harmful pollutants which can cause serious health hazards.
Anti-bacterial Coating:Check whether the HEPA filter has a special coating to eliminate bacteria from the air.
Presence of Carbon Filter:Check whether the air purifier has specially treated carbon filter with a high-grade absorptive value for better absorption of odour and foul smell, cigarette smoke, dust, pet odour, etc.
Child- Lock:Child lock feature ensures that the air purifier settings are not changed by kids or leads to any kind of injuries.
Purifying Capacity:Check the CADR to ensure that the air purifier instantly purifies the air inside the room.
Air-Quality Monitoring:Check whether the air purifier has an air-quality monitoring system in the room to adjust the clean flow of air in accordance with the air quality.
Proper Placement of Air Purifiers
Generally, it is quite difficult to filter the air in a large area or open space as a result of inadequate air circulation. Family areas, large living rooms, especially those which have a high ceiling, make it difficult to purify the air. If you are planning to place the air purifier in a large room, always attempt to direct the purified air exhaust from the air purifier to direction of the inhabitants. When placing the air purifier inside the room, ensure that the vacant space around the air purifier is 18” or more.
If you need to place the air purifier in the bedroom, place the unit approximately 6-10 feet away from the headboard of the bed.
How many air purifiers you need depends upon the size/rooms/floors of your home. Just like AC/fan/cooler, one air purifier works for only one room/hall at a moment. Since it too comes in portable models, you can use it to clean different room’s air at different time.
Best Air Purifier Brands in India
Here is a list of the best brands that manufacture air purifiers in India as of 2019:
Frequently Asked Questions- Air Purifier
- Is Air Purifier Bad For Health?
Not all air purifiers are good enough for your health. Some air cleaning purifiers that produce ozone gas can be harmful to people who have asthma or other respiratory problems. The ozone gases produced by air purifiers can cause respiratory tract irritation and breathing difficulty.
- Do Air Purifiers Dehumidify?
Nope. Air purifiers don’t dehumidify the air present in the room. An air purifier circulates air through a filter that traps the impurities and pollutants. A humidifier sucks in the moisture and reduces the humidity levels in the air and kills the mold that thrives in moisture.
- Do Air Purifiers Help You Sleep?
Apart from just allergen removal, air purifiers can help you sleep in several ways. Air purifiers can remove dust particles and other impurities that cause congestion which leads to improper sleep. Its soothing sound drowns out the outside noises that wake you up.
- Do Air Purifiers Work For Allergies?
If you are allergies, air purifiers can be helpful in improving your condition. But it doesn’t mean that they can completely cure the allergy. It removes the dust, pollen, and other allergens from the circulating air in the room which helps to breathe fresh air. But it doesn’t remove the allergens that are residing on the furniture or mattress.
- Do Air Purifiers Help With Mold and Smell?
Usually, mold spore ranges from 1 to 5 microns in size. The HEPA filters are proven to be effective in removing airborne mold spores. So, air purifiers effectively eliminate mold. Ensure that your air purifier contains a HEPA filter by looking at the package.
Some air purifiers like Gliese Magic Room Air Purifier in India have activated carbon filter which helps to remove odor and certain gases that are not pleasant to health.
- Do I really need a top-class air purifier?
If your home is filled with harmful pollutants like bacteria, viruses, molds, and dust then there are more chances of affecting severe health problems like asthma or other respiratory diseases.
So the only solution is to make use of air purifiers that not only reduce the hospital bills but also cleans the air by triggering harmful contaminants.
- What should you consider while choosing an air purifier?
The basic thing you need to look for an air purifier is the type of impurities it can remove. As the purification system is the key factor to operate, you must also consider room size, maintenance costs, and replacement filters.
Furthermore, you must also look for a warranty, money back scheme, size, design style, and color options. As per your needs, you can opt for the one that you would like to have a home purifier.
- How long can an air purifier cover?
Usually, purifiers are designed to fit in small, medium and large spaced rooms or halls. It is mainly categorized based on CADR and ACH rates. Both of them have a crucial role in designing the purifier and accounts to the stability and performance of the device.
When you switch On the purifier, it can cover a distance of 150-400 Sq.ft depending on the filter type and model. If you purchase the latest model purifier, you can make your house clean and tidy as it features high airflow rate.
- How long does it take to purify air in a room?
On an average, the modern purifiers can completely purify the air in just 4-8 hours. For better outcomes, it should continuously be used throughout the day and night. You might be afraid of current-unit charges and the horrible noise.
To help you out, most air purifiers come with multiple cleaning modes like auto, timer, sleep, clean and also consumes very less power for maintaining indoor air quality, even when you are away from home.
- Do Air Purifiers Cool The Room?
By design and functionality, air purifiers don’t produce cool air. Usually, it feels a little cool because of the fan pushing it. Air purifiers don’t have a cooling unit inside them like air conditioners.
- How much space does it take?
Well, not to worry, the Air Purifiers are designed to fit into any large or small spaces. All you have to do is to measure the square footage of the area of the room where it will be used. After that you just have to contemplate the CFM and ACH needs. Usually, the manufacturers provide a suggested area or the size of the room to get the best results according to your chosen model of purifier.
- Are they safe to use?
We can assure you that air purifiers are a safe piece of machinery you can use it in your house without any worry. But there is an exception to this statement, there are purifiers known as ozone producing air purifiers. Such purifiers can cause irritation, allergies, aggravate your respiratory problems, chest pain, cough and even severe lung damage.
The HEPA purifiers are very popular and they are ozone free. You can also use ionic air purifiers and never get confused with ozone air cleaners.
- Where do I place my Air Purifier?
Usually, most of the air purifiers available in the market are designed to clean only a single room. So, we would suggest that you keep it in a room where you spend most of your time, in most cases it is the bedroom. Although, if you have a home office or any other room where you spend most of your time, you can place it there.
So, the priority varies from customer to customer. Hence, it will be best to purchase an air purifier equipped with wheel at the bottom. Then, you will be able to move is easily from room to room as needed.
- How many purifiers do I need?
Usually, you only require one or two purifiers in your house. The most ideal way is to get one for the living room and one for the bedroom as these are most used places inside any house.
Unfortunately, air purifiers are not designed to clear the air between two rooms. They are not that powerful. Still, if you have such space in your house, you need to get one purifier for each room, only then you will get good results.
- How would I know that it’s time to change the filters?
Most of the purifiers come with an indicator light which alerts you if it’s time to change the filters. Unfortunately, not all the purifiers comes with such convenient feature. If you have such device in your house, you need to check the manual to find out the recommended time of effectiveness for the filters. If that time has passed, you will have to change the filters. The time of filter change varies between three months to a year.
So, never ever leave your doors or windows open. Besides the above issue it will also put immense pressure on the purifier.
- How to clean an air purifier?
The clean-up of an air purifier is extremely easy. If you are still having problems then read the instructions below;
As you are using an electronic device, you need to unplug the power cord, first.
*After that, take a clean cloth and wipe clean the outer exterior of the casing.
*Now, remove the cover of the filter.
*Remove the filter and then wash them using soap and water. Dry them out.
*Then, put those washed filters back into their place.
*Attach the external cover and plug in.
And it’s done!
- Are they capable of removing Asbestos?
Yes, the air purifiers are capable for removing asbestos but you need to purchase a specific one which must be equipped with a HEPA filter. The size of an Asbestos particle ranges from 0.7 to 910 microns and HEPA filter are capable of removing 99% of them.
- Can it help with COPD?
Yes, an air purifier can help with COPD by making it easier for the people with COPD to breathe by simply destroying the airborne pollutants that causes lung irritation. But the purifier must be equipped with a HEPA filter and never ever get an ionizer as the ions may trigger COPD exacerbations.
Last update on 2021-06-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API